Communicative English Programme
Sacred Heart College (Autonomous), Tirupattur is geographically situated in Vellore District and it is the agricultural hub. Needless to say that the students at Sacred Heart College, Tirupattur, hail from these villages. These students are typically from rural backgrounds. When it comes to education, students from rural areas face a number of challenges. Especially, at the tertiary level of education, English is identified as posing a great challenge to the rural Indian learners. It is against this background that the relevance and urgency of this best practice could be understood in its depth as majority of the students enrolled at Sacred Heart College have done their schooling in Tamil medium, that too in government run schools, their exposure to English is to a very minimum standard.
The following are the objectives of Communicative English Programme:
- To enable students learn correct pronunciation, spelling, meaning and usage of English Vocabularies.
- To make students frame correct sentences with known vocabularies based on daily routines.
- To give English language skill practice to students to enhance their English proficiency.
- To expose students to native speakers’ spoken language to enable students to recognize native speakers’ accent and language usage.
- To simulate real life situations in the classroom to practice real English dialogues and speeches to gain English language fluency.
- To give both silent and loud reading practice to students, to enhance their comprehension and English sound recognition skills.
- To help students overcome their fear and to speak in English in front of their peers and teachers thus, build their self-confidence through various classroom activities and outdoor activities.
- To help students to become autonomous and self-directed English language learners.
- To produce entrepreneurs among students by making them English language trainers and take communicative English to schools and colleges around.