The NATIONAL ASSESSMENT AND ACCREDITATION COUNCIL (NAAC) is an autonomous body established by the University Grants Commission (UGC) of India to assess and accredit institutions of higher education in the country. It is an outcome of the recommendations of the National Policy in Education (1986) which laid special emphasis on upholding the quality of higher education in India. To address the issues of quality, the National Policy on Education (1986) and the Plan of Action (POA-1992) advocated the establishment of an independent national accreditation body. Consequently, the NAAC was established in 1994 with its headquarters at Bangalore.
To make quality the defining element of higher education in India through a combination of self and external quality evaluation, promotion and sustenance initiatives.
• To arrange for periodic assessment and accreditation of institutions of higher education or units thereof, or specific academic programmes or projects;
• To stimulate the academic environment for promotion of quality of teaching-learning and research in higher education institutions;
• To encourage self-evaluation, accountability, autonomy and innovations in higher education;
• To undertake quality-related research studies, consultancy and training programmes, and
• To collaborate with other stakeholders of higher education for quality evaluation, promotion and sustenance.
Guided by its vision and striving to achieve its mission, the NAAC primarily assesses the quality of institutions of higher education that volunteer for the process, through an internationally accepted methodology.
Throughout the world, the Higher Educational Institutions function in a dynamic environment and the Indian higher education system is no exception to this. As significant changes happen from time to time, there are new challenges and demands that seek innovation. The ever expanding higher education, impact of technology on educational delivery, increasing private participation and the impact of globalization (including liberal cross-border and trans-border educational imperatives) have necessitated marked changes in the Indian higher education scenario. While formulating its Core Values for Accreditation framework, NAAC is in cognizance of the swift changes and consequent metamorphosis in values pertaining to the Indian Higher Education.
• Contributing to National Development
• Fostering Global Competencies among Students
• Inculcating a Value System in Students
• Promoting the Use of Technology
• Quest for Excellence